Thursday, September 10, 2009

Obama and Healthcare

Just listened to Obama's speech on healthcare. Started feeling the love for him again and then - ZAP! He said that none of the money from the proposed plan would go to fund abortions. Clearly. Deliberately. Just the sort of shameless pandering to the conservatives that I thought he'd avoid. I understand wanting to defuse criticism that might scupper the plan. I understand being pragmatic. (I never act like that myself, but... I can at least intellectually see the value of it).

BUT: if abortions are legal medical procedures, which they still are, why put them in a separate category? If the health plan is supposed to is supposed to protect vulnerable people, well, I have a hard time thinking about a more vulnerable and exposed class of people than women who want to terminate a pregnancy and who lack the funds to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment